The kitchen stove is a common cause of fire in the home. The usual culprit of a stove top fire is grease which can be very dangerous and can spread quickly. It is important to know how to react when a grease fire happens.

Here are some tips for putting out a stove top fire, should it happen to you:

If the fire starts from grease in a pan, put a metal lid on top of the pan to smother the flames. Turn off the burner but don’t move the pan. Leave the lid on until the fire is completely extinguished.

If you have it handy you can use baking soda to put out the fire. Never use water on a grease fire, it will make it worse.

An ABC, dry chemical fire extinguisher can also be used effectively on grease fires. It is important to keep a small multi-purpose extinguisher in an easily accessible area of your kitchen.

Never try to carry the fire outside. Moving the pan may cause the grease to splash, spread the fire, and cause burns.

In case of an oven fire, turn off the oven and leave the door closed. After the fire is out, let the oven cool completely.

If the fire becomes more than you can handle, leave and call 911 from a neighbor’s house.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Set your Twitter account name in your settings to use the TwitterBar Section.