The kitchen stove is a common cause of fire in the home. The usual culprit of a stove top fire is grease which can be very dangerous and can spread quickly. It is important to know how to react when a grease fire happens.
Here are some tips for putting out a stove top fire, should it happen to you:
If the fire starts from grease in a pan, put a metal lid on top of the pan to smother the flames. Turn off the burner but don’t move the pan. Leave the lid on until the fire is completely extinguished.
If you have it handy you can use baking soda to put out the fire. Never use water on a grease fire, it will make it worse.
An ABC, dry chemical fire extinguisher can also be used effectively on grease fires. It is important to keep a small multi-purpose extinguisher in an easily accessible area of your kitchen.
Never try to carry the fire outside. Moving the pan may cause the grease to splash, spread the fire, and cause burns.
In case of an oven fire, turn off the oven and leave the door closed. After the fire is out, let the oven cool completely.
If the fire becomes more than you can handle, leave and call 911 from a neighbor’s house.
Worcester Listing AlertsWorcester, MA - $229,900 - Single-Family - Split Entry - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:232 minutes agoWorcester, MA - $243,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:6 - Beds:3 - Baths:156 minutes agoWorcester, MA - $127,500 - Multi-Family - Units:3 - Levels:3 - Parking Spaces:31 hour agoWorcester, MA - $140,000 - Commercial - Year Built:1890 - Acres:0.151 hour agoWorcester, MA - $995 - Rentals - - Rooms:6 - Beds:2 - Baths:21 hour ago
Auburn Listing AlertsAuburn, MA - $59,999 - Land - Acres:0.5127 minutes agoAuburn, MA - $329,900 - Single-Family - Colonial, Garrison - Rooms:9 - Beds:4 - Baths:37 hours agoAuburn, MA - $140,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:1/1Auburn, MA - $319,500 - Commercial - Year Built:1900 - Acres:0.58Auburn, MA - $139,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:5 - Beds:3 - Baths:1
Shrewsbury Listing AlertsShrewsbury, MA - $329,000 - Single-Family - Colonial, Cape - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:21 hour agoShrewsbury, MA - $929,900 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:10 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/12 hours agoShrewsbury, MA - $2,000 - Rentals - - Rooms:7 - Beds:4 - Baths:22 hours agoShrewsbury, MA - $444,000 - Single-Family - Colonial - Rooms:7 - Beds:3 - Baths:2/24 hours agoShrewsbury, MA - $619,900 - Single-Family - Cape - Rooms:8 - Beds:4 - Baths:3/14 hours ago
- Taking to the water July 23, 2014Lora Glenn smiles at her daughter, Corrie, 3, as sister Mystic, 4, reclines on her legs in the state-run Bennett Field pool on Tuesday. […]
- Senate candidate Valanzola makes pitch to Paxton Board of Selectmen July 23, 2014Republican Michael J. Valanzola of Wales, a candidate for the seat being vacated by state Sen. Stephen M. Brewer, D-Barre, presented his qualifications Monday to the Board of Selectmen. […]
- The rewards of Tenacity July 22, 2014From left, Yatnna Pacheco, 8, and Cletus Togba, 6, listen to Derick Dudu, 8, read an X-Men book during afternoon reading time with the Tenacity program at the Worcester Academy fields Monday. […]
- Taking to the water July 23, 2014
- Incorrect address July 19, 2014In spite of cost-cutting efforts in recent years, the U.S. Postal Service continues to post annual losses in the billions of dollars, while Congress refuses to enact the kinds of reforms that could help ensure the service's long-term stability - from simple steps such as ending Saturday home delivery to more complex issues such as reforming the ... (mor […]
- Shirley Kozik July 16, 2014Shirley Kozik, 85, of Dartmouth died July 15, 2014 at Alden Court after a brief illness. […]
- New Hexapod 6-Axis Parallel Positioner Features 1000lbs Load Capacity, Introduced by PI July 16, 2014Auburn, MA July 16, 2014 The new H-850KMLD hexapod provides 1 m minimum incremental motion over a 100mm travel range in XY and 0.5 m in the Z direction. […]
- Incorrect address July 19, 2014
- Passengers injured in balloon crash released from hospital; FAA investigating July 21, 2014Five people injured in a hot air balloon accident Saturday, around 8 p.m., have been treated and released from area hospitals with varying degrees of burns, ranging from minor to serious, according Officer Edward Jeffrey, who has been working with the Federal Aviation Administration over the weekend. […]
- TV Review: Drunk History July 20, 2014Posted by McKegg Collins on Jul 11th, 2014 and filed under Columnists , Mckegg Collins . […]
- I need Shrewsbury's help to make a young cancer patients birthday a little brighter July 19, 2014One of the things I have always loved about this town, is the deep sense of community spirit, and how we all are able to put aside the hectic lives we lead for a few moments, and do something special. […]
- Passengers injured in balloon crash released from hospital; FAA investigating July 21, 2014